Make the most of your home this spring
As the weather warms up, you might be wondering how you can make the most of your outdoor space. Here are a few ideas on how to brighten up your terrace, garden or balcony.
Giving your garden a tidy is a great start to give your garden a fresh look. Sweeping up leaves, removing weeds and trimming shrubs make all the difference. Or jet wash your patio if you’re feeling like going the extra mile.
It’s also important to maintain your garden’s turf to prepare your garden for the summer months. Here are a few tips for giving your lawn a subtle refresh:
- Use treatment products – this will help your turf stay healthy and ward off pesky weeds and moss. Always follow the instructions on the label for the best results.
- Rake out moss and weeds – only use a rake to remove them once the treatment has turned the moss a dark colour, as raking beforehand will encourage spores to spread.
- Sow new grass seed to cover any bare patches. Keeping these areas moist will help the seed establish roots.
- Spike your lawn – use a garden fork to punch holes around 3-4 inches deep into your lawn. This will help your turf to grow deeper roots and absorb water during the drier summer months.
- Regularly mow your grass – most lawns should be cut to a length of 3cm. For areas recently sown with new grass seed, check that your mower blades are sharp to ensure a smooth cut.
Buying some new outdoor furniture is another easy way of updating your garden’s style. Grab a new dining set, parasol or sofa to make those summer moments even more special. Or, add some outdoor lights to your gazebo for a chilled atmosphere in the evenings. There are some great deals out there, so keep your eyes peeled!
If you don’t have a garden, you can still turn your balcony into a lively green space. There are a variety of ways to do this.
- Plants - Brighten up your balcony with hanging baskets, planters and pots. Use a variety of flowers, shrubs and trees to add some extra colour - for example, marigolds or fuchsias.
- Create an area to relax - Adding a bistro set to your balcony will give you an outside area to relax, dine and entertain whilst enjoying the views of your local area. Add rugs, cushions or lanterns to create the feeling of a gazebo and enjoy your evenings in style.
- Herbs and vegetables - Use pots and grow bags to create a vegetable patch on your balcony. There are plenty of herbs and vegetables that do not require a lot of space to grow, including tomatoes, basil, peppers and cucumber.
Why limit your spring style to outside? Here are some ways you could bring the outdoors into your home.
- Window box garden - Herbs love a sunny windowsill and happily grow in small pots. Why not plant things that you can use in salads or cocktails in the warmer months and enjoy the fruits of your labour? Some of the easiest herbs to grow indoors are:
o Lemon grass
- House plants - There are many indoor house plants that are easy to maintain. House plants also boost both your mood and productivity, so are the perfect addition to your home. Repotting them in spring will help them to grow and stay healthy.
- Hanging baskets – Using these to decorate your home can give any room a more natural feel. Plus, they’re super easy to look after – just remember to water them regularly.